Greetings from Jean
Here we are in week four of a pandemic. It is the week of Passover and Easter for many of us. Ramadan is coming soon for others. Spring is Nature’s time of renewal and new life for all of us. One thing that is also true for all of us is that it has become a time of challenge in managing our collective and personal anxiety and fear. For those of us that work hard to manage depression and anxiety when all things are optimal, this is particularly challenging. For people who naturally live on the sunny side, this may be new territory to figure out how to manage.
It is our hope that all of us come out of this situation stronger and more resilient. To do that, we all need to make sure that physical distancing does not become social distancing. Scheduling virtual or phone visits with our family and friends are important for all of us to do, both for ourselves, as well as those we love. Continuing to exercise and take time for spiritual and emotional renewal, however that looks for you, is more important than ever. None of us want to come out of this addicted to anti-anxiety medications, food, alcohol, (or whatever we go to when we are unbalanced), to quell our fears and attempt to manage our anxiety and depression.
If you are experiencing difficulty with managing depression, anxiety, isolation, and fear on your own please, reach out to your practitioner to get evaluated. They can help you decide on a plan that will support you through this difficult time.
Below are some supplements that are good support for managing stress, insomnia, mild anxiety and depression. These are good support, NOT treatment for major depression and anxiety. You can visit our website to see the full list.
Stress with Insomnia:
Are you waking up at 2 am and can’t go back to sleep? That is stress, or so I’ve been told “a particular form of torture called perimenopause in a pandemic, for some women”. Our stress hormones and our steroid hormones all interact with each other.
- Cortisol Manager: This helps with a dramatic reduction of stress. It increases the ability to fall asleep and stay asleep without morning grogginess, and can provide all-day stress reduction.
- Calmful Sleep: This was designed for those times when you need a little extra help getting enough rest. It helps the body ease into restful sleep. It restores a healthy magnesium level, balancing your calcium intake.
- Best Rest: This provides support for occasional sleeplessness. It contains the time-tested support of valerian, passionflower, chamomile, lemon balm and hops, which act to calm and relax the central nervous system. Melatonin also facilitates the onset of sleep and sleep efficiency. GABA and L-theanine are included for their ability to promote alpha wave production in the brain, an indication of relaxation.
- Magnesium: Magnesium is a natural relaxant and sleep aid. Magnesium is necessary for energy (ATP) production; sustaining heart health and healthy blood vessels; maintaining adequate blood flow to the brain to support healthy neurons and nerves: and for optimal skeletal muscle function.
- 5HTP: 5HTP is derived from the Griffonia simplicifolia plant. Serotonin is an important neurotransmitter involved in the regulation of endocrine and brain activity responsible for emotion, appetite and sleep/wake cycles.
Stress and anxiety:
Cortisolv: Cortisolv helps your body reset and recover from the effects of everyday stress. It supports healthy cortisol levels, helps alleviate occasional fatigue, promotes mental clarity, and supports relaxation and restful sleep.
- HPA Adapt: HPA Adapt is a support stress hormone balance via the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPS) axis.
- GABA Soothe: GABA Soothe increases alpha-waves and reduces stress-related beta-waves, thus helping to promote calmness while maintaining mental focus. Theanine, found in green tea, supports relaxation without drowsiness and may improve learning by affecting brain dopamine and serotonin.
- Kava Tincture: Kava helps stress and anxiety, makes you feel calm, relaxed. (Warning: Tinctures do have alcohol in them).
- Rescue Remedy: This is beneficial when you find yourself in traumatic situations, such as stress, emergencies, after getting bad news, before an exam or job interview and all other kinds of situations where we suddenly lose balance mentally. Gets us back in our normal balance.
- Lavela: Lavela romotes relaxation and calms nervousness with safety and efficacy. A small study showed that this was as effective as low dose Paxil for anxiety.
- Vitamin D 5000 IU capsule, Or Vitamin D Drops 1000 IU/drop: Vitamin D recommendations are to take 10,000 IU/day for 3-4 weeks, then 5000 IU /day 5-7 times a week or if on Pure One Multi less to equivalent
Cravings for Sugar and Carbs and alcohol:
5HTP: This supplement is derived from the Griffonia simplicifolia plant. Serotonin is an important neurotransmitter involved in the regulation of endocrine and brain activity responsible for emotion, appetite and sleep/wake cycles.
- Inositol: Inositol supports healthy central nervous system function and ovarian health and insulin and glucose metabolism.
- Metabolic Xtra: Metabolic Xtra supports healthy insulin function and glucose homeostasis.
- Cortisol Manager: Cortisol Manager can help with stress management and insomnia related to stress
- L-Theanine: This can help with stress, anxiety, and to focus during the day.
Take care of yourself and your loved ones.
We hold each and every one of you in our hearts,
Connie and all of the CFP practitioners and staff.